Countdown to game time: 05/11/20


Breast Cancer Awareness Day in Review & Upcoming Race

08/05/2008 8:00 AM - The T-Bones Second Annual Breast Cancer Awareness Day Sunday, August 3, is deemed a success.  Many breast cancer survivors took part in the day’s events by generating informational knowledge about breast cancer, while promoting the ultimate goal of saving lives.  A Lawrence, Kan., couple and the Susan G. Komen Foundation of Kansas City were a part of this magic at CommunityAmerica Ballpark on Sunday.

Breast cancer survivor, Carrie Rangel, Lawrence, Kan., and her husband Patrick Rangel, Lawrence, Kan., (pictured) displayed their hot pink 1978 Monte Carlo outside of CommunityAmerica Ballpark as a symbol with a message.

“Breast cancer does not discriminate,” Patrick said.  When Carrie was diagnosed with breast cancer last November, Patrick decided that their car was the tangible vehicle for creating awareness.  Today Carrie is healthy and in remission. 

The T-Bones also partnered with the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Foundation of Greater Kansas City.  The T-Bones helped promote donations to the Foundation through the silent auction of player’s jerseys and pink merchandise sold in the Meat Locker. 

You can help raise funds for breast cancer research, like the T-Bones, by taking part in the 15th Annual Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure Sunday, August 10, 2008.  The 5K Run and Fun Run begin and end at Union Station in Kansas City, Mo. 

Every year, 75 percent of the money raised in Kansas City stays in Kansas City.  The remaining 25 percent goes to the Komen Headquarters in Dallas, Texas to fund research grants from all around the world.  More than 182,000 new cases of invasive breast cancer are expected to occur among women in 2008, along with 1,990 diagnosed men. 

Be a part of the Cure’s promise to “save lives and end breast cancer forever by empowering people, ensuring quality of care for all and energizing science to find the cures” by taking part in the Race for the Cure this month.