See you next Season!


Fargo One Win Away from Title

09/16/2006 6:43 AM - FARGO, N.D. – For the second straight game in this series and the third time during the post-season Kory Wayment provided the game-winning hit as Fargo-Moorhead defeated Gary 5-2 in front of 3,091 at Newman Outdoor Field on Friday in Game 3 of the Northern League Championship Series.

The game started after a 48 minute rain delay and the teams successfully completed a half inning with Gary claiming a 1-0 lead as Kevin White doubled in Tanner Townsend before the skies opened again and brought on another rain delay.

Fifty-seven minutes later play resumed with the RedHawks batting for the first time. Although the bats were alive for Fargo-Moorhead the RedHawks were unable to plate a run until the fifth inning. With runners on second and third Steve Edsall intentionally walked Richard Austin to set up a possible double play. The move brought Harry Berrios to the plate and he wasted no time sending a two-run single through the middle of the infield to give the ‘Hawks a 2-0 lead.

RailCats starter Jason Shelley shut out the RedHawks but only did so for 1.2 innings before taking himself off of the mound due to a strained muscle in his arm. He threw just 24 pitches and allowed two hits while striking out three batters. Shelley handed the ball over to Ryan Brandt who also held the RedHawks scoreless through two innings of work before Edsall allowed Fargo-Moorhead to get on the board.

Gary tied the game in the top of the sixth inning as Andy Rohleder scored on an Eric McNamee single to left field. The score would remain that was as the RailCats shuffled through two more pitchers in Ryan Miller and Kris Regas.

With Regas on the mound during the seventh and eighth innings the RedHawks collected three hits, all in the eighth inning. After Mottram was hit by a pitch Scott Goodman laid down a sacrifice bunt. After a Craig Ringe single, Wayment slapped a ball between the shortstop and third baseman to plate what proved to be the game-winning run.

Fargo-Moorhead recorded two more runs in the inning with Ringe scoring on a Regas balk and Wayment coming home on a Brent Krause single.

The loss was charged to Regas while Brion Treadway earned the win in relief. Brandon Culp earned his second save of the post-season.

Mike Peschel got the start for the ‘Hawks and allowed the only two RailCat runs off of five hits in 5.2 innings of work. He was later relieved by Brian Hewitt. Fargo-Moorhead also used Josh Gray out of the bullpen before Treadway and Culp combined for the final 2.1 innings.

Fargo-Moorhead (2-1) is now just one game away from capturing their third Northern League title and will look to do just that as they face Gary (1-2) in Game 4 of the best-of-five series on Saturday. The game is scheduled to begin at 1:35 p.m. CST and will likely see Mark Michael (0-0, 2.16) battle on the mound against Josh Habel (1-1, 0.71).

Win: Brion Treadway (1-1). Loss: Kris Regas (0-2). Save: Brandon Culp (2).
Time: 3:07 // Attendance: 3,091